Lead Upward with Living as a Leader
In your day-to-day job, do you ever find yourself asking the following
- How can I be more effective at giving my boss candid, respectful feedback?
- How can I get more time with my boss?
- I'd like to share some observations—how can I have that conversation?
- I need information from busy senior-level leaders. How can I ask for what I need?
In all of these cases, the real question is: How can I lead upward? Sometimes it’s called “managing up.” What exactly is “leading upward?” Leading upward is influencing your boss (or another person of power) to get a mutually beneficial result.
It’s not always “the boss” with whom we have trouble leading upward. It could be anyone in the organization whom you perceive as having more authority or power than you do. It could even be people outside the organization—high-ranking customers or vendor contacts, for example.
Join us as we discuss the problem of power, six strategies to “lead upward,” and a five-step process for a “lead upward” conversation.
Aleta Norris has presented to SRKA in the past and we are thrilled to have her back. She is an expert leadership coach and trainer with 30 years of experience developing leaders. She is also a highly sought-after speaker for annual meetings, keynote engagements, panel discussions and networking groups.
In 2002, Aleta, along with Nancy Lewis, co-founded Living As A Leader® to support the effectiveness of leaders at all levels of an organization. Today, Aleta oversees Living As A Leader’s sales and marketing activities, as well as the launch of the company's new Living As A Leader Online services.
- Contributing author on the topic of leadership for various publications
- Co-authored the Living As A Leader® Leadership Development Series and System
- Earned MS in organizational science and adult education, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Best-selling author of Women Who Spark: 12 Steps to Catapult Happiness, Cultivate Confidence, and Discover the Purpose of Your Life
- Best-selling author of Women Who Spark After 50: Inspiration to Reinvent and Reignite Your Life for the Second Half.
- Co-Author of Live As A Leader: Tools and Inspiration to Transform Yourself, Your Team and Your Life.
This session is pending for SHRM Professional Development Credits (PDCs) and HRCI re-certification credits.
Do you want to receive member pricing for this event?
Be sure to join SRKA as a member or renew your prior membership BEFORE you register. If you have been a member in the past and your membership has lapsed, you'll save $20 on this meeting by renewing your membership first and then registering for this event as a Member. Memberships and renewals for lapsed members are generally processed within 24 hours.
Would you like to attend for Free? Refer an HR friend or colleague to SRKA. If they join and list you as a referral on their application, you will receive 2 free meetings! We will send you a special coupon code to enter when registering for your next meeting.
When you visit our site: www.srka.org you will click on log-in. Your USER ID is your email address. Click on FORGOT PASSWORD to reset your password. Everyone (members and non-members) will need to do this the first time. A link will be sent to set/reset your password.
If you have any issues joining or renewing on-line, please contact Holly Marita.
- Please note that memberships and event registrations are for individuals and are not refundable or transferable. Please do not send a friend or colleague in your place.
- We appreciate the courtesy of being notified if your plans change and you are unable to attend. Refunds or credits will not be issued in the event of a cancellation.
- Once on-line registration closes, last minute requests to attend depend on availability. Any approved last minute requests must be paid by credit card prior to the event.
- SRKA may take photos at our events to be used on social media and other promotional materials.
- By registering for this event, you are agreeing to the terms above.